The crunch of the apples. Creaminess of the feta cheese. Tartness of the pomegranate. The textures within this salad complement each other very nicely and make for easy substitutions.
Recently, when I’ve been looking for healthy recipes I have two goals in mind:
1) easy prep
2) visually appealing
This kale apple pomegranate salad hit both- it was easy to make in less than 20 minutes and is a work of art. Pair it with protein like shrimp or salmon, or even quinoa and you can make this salad as meal prep for the upcoming week. Whip up stress-free salad as the perfect finishing touch to your dining table!
Did you know? Kale has twice the amount of vitamin C as an orange!!
Kale Apple Pomegranate Salad
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bunch of kale (about ½ lb, leaves thinly chopped, stems removed)
- 1 large apple, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup pecans, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- seeds from one pomegranate
- ½ cup feta cheese (2 ounces)
- Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, honey, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Add the kale and toss to coat.
- Rub the apple slices with lemon juice to prevent them from browning. Toss the kale with the pecans, pumpkin seeds, and pomegranate seeds. Crumble the feta cheese over the salad and arrange the apple slices along the edges.
-Add grilled chicken, salmon or shrimp for more variety
-If preparing the salad for meal prep, make the vinaigrette on the side and put in little containers.
-If you don’t have pecans, swap it for walnuts or almonds
-Kale is relatively inexpensive (I bought a bunch of kale for $0.98, or for easier prep you can buy a bag of shredded kale)
-Try to find a block of feta cheese as it is more flavorful compared to the pre-crumbled kinds. Other types of cheese like blue cheese can be substituted.