Mushrooms. The ideal umami pairing to any dish especially one that contains English muffins! Also I am mindblown- I learned that portobello, cremini (or baby bella), and white button mushrooms are actually all the same exact kind of mushroom except they are at different stages of growth! One article compared the white button to toddlers, the cremini to teenagers, and the portobello to adults. Portobello mushrooms are heartier, more flavorful, and have the least moisture (compared to cremini/white button types) which lends them more to grilling and roasting.
Try out this juicy portobello egg breakfast sandwich for an easy and delicious meal to make in the morning!
Portobello Egg Breakfast Sandwich
- 1 portobello mushroom, stems/gills removed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- salt and pepper
- 1 bell pepper, diced (or mini peppers)
- 4 English muffins
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 4 slices of cheese (ex. Gruyere or Gouda)
- 1/2 cucumber, diced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 pack of cherry tomatoes
- optional: assorted fruit (berries, apples, kiwi)
- Start with the portobello mushroom and remove the stem and rub off any dirt using a paper towel. Scrape out the gills using a spoon (this is optional as they are edible but it will decrease the moisture if you remove them)
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and diced onion to a pan over medium heat and saute for 5 minutes or until the onion is soft and translucent. Season with the smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. Add the diced pepper and mushrooms and saute for 5 more minutes and then set aside.
- Cut the English muffins in half and toast in a toaster oven or on a skillet
- Cook the eggs to your liking whether it is scrambled, sunny side up, poached, etc (for sunny side, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat, crack your eggs into the pan, and cook covered for 2-4 minutes
- Spread a layer of mayonnaise on the top of the English muffin. On the bottom, spoon your mushroom mixture, top with an egg, add a slice of cheese, sprinkle some sliced green onions and enjoy!
- For healthy sides, add cucumbers, tomatoes, and fruit!
- Be creative and add whatever you have available in your fridge- bacon/shredded cheese/etc
- for a twist and less carbs, you can replace the bread and create an open sandwich, using a whole portobello mushroom as your “bread”
What’s your favorite breakfast meal to make?