A colorful recipe packed with antioxidants and fiber that you can make with one bowl. I love having this quick and easy recipe to make for potluck meals or as a side dish for dinners. This salad goes great with salmon or can be served alongside tortilla chips. With the refreshing summer months approaching us quickly, this will be a great dish to have in your back pocket!
So what kind of nutrients are inside this salad?
- Avocados (not pictured)
- contain vitamin K, folate, vitamin C, potassium and are packed with 2 g of protein, 15 g of health fats (monounsaturated fatty acids similar to that found in olive oil), and 7 grams of fiber
- they have more potassium than bananas!
- contain 95% water
- lots of antioxidants especially lycopene which is mostly found in the tomato peel; lycopene has been linked to lowering cholesterol
- contain vitamin K, folate, vitamin C, potassium
- Black Beans: great source of fiber, protein and folate
- contain vitamin C, folate, and potassium
- colored onions have more antioxidants than white onions and it is the antioxidants that give red onions their color
- the main fiber, fructans, can be used by good bacteria in the gut
Southwestern Black Bean Salad
- one 15.5 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- one 15 ounce can corn (or frozen, thawed corn)
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 medium avocados, chopped
- Optional Additions: 2 tbsp cilantro (chopped), 1 bell pepper (chopped), diced jalapeno, quinoa (1/2 cup cooked), garbanzo beans
- Combine black beans, corn, tomato, red onion, and scallion in a large bowl.
- Mix together the lime juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, and chili powder and stir into the salad.
- Allow to marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Lightly mix in the chopped avocado before serving.
-Add salt/pepper and chili powder to taste. After you sprinkle a bit, mix the salad and then taste it to see if you need more or not