A drink that is so easy to blend that you don’t even have to think about it twice. Got milk? Got bananas? Got strawberries? You already have all the ingredients for a basic smoothie bowl and you don’t even know it. It’s so much funner eating a smoothie from a bowl than drinking it! Drinking them from straws or even just a cup, every single time, gets boring quickly.There’s just something about using a spoon that makes it seem more like a solid breakfast to me, not to mention the loads of fruit that its covered with. It may be hard to eat such a good-looking smoothie, when all we do is eat with our eyes. But… Once your spoon goes in for the first bite, it will disappear as quick as a popped bubble. Read on to make your own antioxidant-rich, creamy smoothie topped with a sweet crunchy granola and some soft, fresh fruit.
One of the simplest pleasures in life is finding a recipe that you want to make and realizing that you have every single ingredient listed. No grocery stores needed. The beauty of the smoothie bowl is that one can customize it based on their own personal preferences or even whatever is in the fridge/freezer. If you plan on making smoothies regularly, it is convenient to buy frozen fruit in bulk to always have it on hand.
Smoothie Bowl Basics
- Base of the smoothie bowl
- Fruity: Orange Juice, Apple Juice; can be freshly squeezed or packaged
- Tropical: Coconut Water, Pineapple Juice
- Creamy: Milk (whole, 2%, skim, soy, coconut, almond)
- Water: adds no flavor to the drink
- Best if frozen to keep your smoothie cold without having to use ice
- Strawberries, Bananas, Kiwi, Mangoes, Raspberries, Blueberries, Blackberries, Dragonfruit, etc
- Kale, Cucumbers, Spinach
- Greek Yogurt, Xantham Gum, Bananas, Frozen Fruit, Ice
- Try to use ice as a last resort so that you can have a more flavorful drink
- Vanilla Extract , Honey, Sugar, Agave Nectar, Maple Syrup
- Best to have a fusion of different colors
- Fruits, fresh preferred: chopped, sliced, halved (be careful when adding too much dried fruit because it is concentrated in sugar due to no water content)
- Granola: fun flavors such as chocolate chip, cranberry apple, maple peanut butter, cinnamon raisin spice
- Nuts/Seeds: slivered almonds, flaxseed, whole oats, hazelnuts, pecans, pumpkin seeds
- Superfoods: cocoa nibs, unsweetened shredded coconut, chia seeds, hemp seeds, avocado
- When making your own smoothie bowl, have all the fruit cut and ready to place on top before you start assembling it so that you can eat it right after
- If the smoothie is too thick, stop blending, shake the mixer, and add small amounts of the chosen liquid at a time
- Make sure the smoothie is thick so that your fruit don’t sink to the bottom
- Check out some fun inspiration for smoothie bowls on this Buzzfeed article
These are only various combinations to inspire a smoothie bowl, so do not feel limited as there is a lot more that I have not included. Now it’s your turn to have fun with all the different combinations to make the perfect personalized smoothie bowl!
What unique combinations have you used in smoothie bowls?