It all started with a tapioca drink. After a strong recommendation from a friend, I decided one day to finally order the green mystery frappe. The sweet, yet slight bitter taste of the matcha green tea with the combination of the chewy tapioca pearls instantly had me. Ever since, whenever I’d stop by a tapioca shop, I’d always hear myself respond “green tea frappe” when asked “what would you like to order?”. It wasn’t soon before I realized there was a whole world out there full of green tea flavored desserts for me to discover. Macarons. Cookies. Cake. Ribbon Ice. Chocolate. Buttercream. You name it, they’ve probably made it. And of course, ice cream! Which brings us to this post here which will satisfy any green tea cravings you may have. If you are curious as to how this would taste before making it, I suggest buying the Häagen-Dazs® Green Tea ice cream from your grocery store. It was the only brand that I found that sells the unique flavor of green tea. If you know of any others, feel free to share and comment below.
Matcha Green Tea Ice Cream from OneInstantCookbook
Time Required: 30 minutes active time; 6 hours inactive time
Makes: 1 Quart
- 2 cups of ice in a bowl
- 2 cups half and half (OR 1 cup whole milk and 1 cup heavy cream)
- ½ cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons (18 grams) matcha green tea powder
- Pinch of salt (about 1/16 teaspoon)
- Optional toppings: sliced mangos/strawberries; condensed milk
Equipment: Ice cream maker
- Freeze the ice cream bowl for 24 hours.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the half and half, sugar, and salt.
- Start heating up the mixture over medium heat and then add in sifted green tea powder. Stir until the mixture starts to foam and is hot to the touch, but not boiling.
- Remove from heat and transfer it to a bowl sitting in an ice bath. Once it is cool, refrigerate the bowl for 2-3 hours.
- Transfer to a pre-chilled ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions (around 20-25 minutes).
- Transfer to airtight container and freeze for 3 hours before serving.
- If you are looking to buy green tea match powder, you can buy some from Amazon or from your local Japanese store.
- Optional toppings that go great with green tea ice cream include fruits such as mangos or strawberries with a drizzle of condensed milk.
Step by Step Pictures Below
Clockwise: Green Tea Matcha; Half & Half; Granulated Sugar; Pinch of SaltWhisk together the half and half, sugar, and salt over medium heat.Sift in the green tea powder and mix thoroughly. Chill your mixture in an ice bath and once cool, place into the refrigerator for 2-3 hours before churning in the ice cream maker. Enjoy!
What is your favorite way to eat/drink match green tea?