So for this past Mother’s Day, I wanted to try something a little different. Instead of buying a cake as we always do, I decided to make a homemade one! The recipe for the cake is the same one I used for the 6 layer rainbow cake. The topping is just raspberries with a milk chocolate chip inside and of course, shaved chocolate to top it all off. As for the icing, I was originally going to use this recipe doubled. It was so funny because when I pulled out all these sticks of butter that I was going to use (not to mention the many cups of confectioner’s sugar I would need as well), it looked quite absurd. Looking at it all again, I realized how unhealthy this cake was going to be so I quickly looked up another recipe for some healthy icing, hopefully with less butter this time. Surprise surprise, I found a recipe that actually tasted amazing with no butter! Another benefit to this is that you most likely already have all these ingredients so no last minute trips to the grocery store!
ButterLess White Frosting
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- First off, get a saucepan and heat together the sugar, water, and cream of tartar. Cook it over medium heat until the sugar is all dissolved and you see little bubbles on the surface.
- Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl, whip the egg whites and vanilla extract together until they form soft peaks. It may take a while, so be patient.
- Add the heated sugar mixture to the egg whites and continue mixing until stiff peaks are formed. This will take about 10 minutes.